Please describe the problem.
When cloning/syncing a repository (and probably doing some nono's in the process), git annex will happily delete files. This cost me several files, which just by coincidence were not totally important, still its very unsettling.
What steps will reproduce the problem?
I did not try to exactly reproduce it yet (sorry, no time right now), but here is vaguley what I did (sorry its been a process spread over several hours and i was doing lots of other things in parallel so I'm fuzzy about details):
- have a repository in direct mode on your local harddrive, say ~/myannex
- git clone ~/myannex to /usbhd/myannex, git annex init. The usbhd is a FAT, git annex recognizes it as "crippled filessytem".
- Git annex get all from ~/myannex. So far, so good.
- create several files on ~/myannex, git annex add them
- do a git annex add on them, abort it (realizing SHA256E takes forever, so changing to WORM), repeat add (not sure wheter i did a git annex sync here)
- create several files on /usbhd/myannex, git annex add them (not sure wheter i did a git annex sync here again)
All repos are in direct mode.
From here on i don't remember the exact order of events, one definite -- probably important -- nono i did, was: I executed a git annex sync/get on the usbhd in a sub-directory (i.e. not in the git base dir), say /usbhd/myannex/foo/bar/, so it went on creating /usbhd/myannex/foo/bar/foo, which of course was not intended. However /usbhd/myannex/foo/bar/foo contained FAT-crippled-symlinks to the new files in ~/myannex (good).
In order to avoid a potential messy situation i just renamed /usbhd/myannex/foo to /usbhd/myannex/foo_bak (which I just realize while writing this, saved me the hash values of my files, yay :))
However when I tried to repeat the procedure, it seems that the new files would not appear on the usbhd (for a reason i totally don't get, maybe I synced back before realizing my sub-foo mistake). When I synced usbhd -> ~/myannex again, git-annex happily deleted my new files there which obviously quite upset me.
Again, sorry for this horribly chaotic description, I'll try and deliver a more reproducible description, but for the next 2 weeks at least I'm too busy for that.
What version of git-annex are you using? On what operating system?
Archlinux, 3.9.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat May 11 20:31:08 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Please provide any additional information below.
# If you can, paste a complete transcript of the problem occurring here. # If the problem is with the git-annex assistant, paste in .git/annex/daemon.log # End of transcript or log.