Recent comments posted to this site:

see my other bug for a proposed resolution: a GCS-optimized external special remote
Comment by Rob Sat Jan 24 17:18:14 2015
I believe that I could write an external special remote to enable a full GCS feature set to resolve this. I'll do this. If someone has already done so, please add to the comments.
Comment by Rob Sat Jan 24 17:10:20 2015
I am searching for current packages for Ubuntu Trusty 14.04. The version shipped is 5.20140412ubuntu1, but I would like to try a more recent version to see if an issue I experience still persists. Is there any up-to-date PPA available for Trusty?
Comment by Dennis Sat Jan 24 03:20:48 2015
I am running into the same issue with Ubuntu Trusty 14.04. The version shipped is 5.20140412ubuntu1, but I would like to try a more recent version to see if an issue I experience still persists. Is there any up-to-date PPA available for Trusty?
Comment by Dennis Sat Jan 24 03:19:41 2015

RE: my last comment

The reason I couldn't get it to work is because I didn't have proper read access to the bucket. My bad for not checking first but it would be great it there was a clearer error message from git-annex and/or a way to get more detailed information on the s3 extension (-d doesn't do much).

Regardless git-annex is pretty cool, thanks to all the maintainers for their hard work.

Comment by James Fri Jan 23 01:02:18 2015

Even after enableremote I can't get from s3.

get Docs.zip (from s3...)

Unable to access these remotes: s3

Try making some of these repositories available:
    02b4e373-02b1-42b9-8285-c353c047895c -- my laptop
    f287b4f7-4e5a-4734-bd6b-62b1f4498838 -- [s3]

(Note that these git remotes have annex-ignore set: origin)
failed
git-annex: get: 1 failed

This is after all branches are pushed from my original repo. Any suggestions?

Comment by James Thu Jan 22 22:16:46 2015

git sync … >> fetches from each remote

Well, I have two git annex-ed repositories where "git remote -v" properly lists the other repo, and "git annex sync foo" manages to pull from foo, but "git annex sync" without a remote name simply does a local sync. Also, neither command pushes anything anywhere.

So, where does "git annex" get its list of remotes from? What could prevent it from accessing them?

Comment by Matthias Thu Jan 22 22:04:09 2015

Is it possible to use special remotes (like S3) with this centralized method?

Public web content works fine, but I've had no luck with S3.

Comment by James Thu Jan 22 21:52:13 2015

I think I've completed the setup correctly, as I

• am able to execute git-annex-shell on the server
  • locally running git-annex sync triggers the git-annex process on the server

However, once I provide the password to the key on my local machine, nothing seemingly happens - there is no output after the password prompt.

The repository I'm trying to sync with the remote on the server is ~200 mb and is in my lan.

When monitoring the remote server, I see the following in process being triggered:

31433 31431 amk D 656m270.7 7.1 /volume1/homes/amk/bin/git-annex.linux//lib/ld-linux.so.3 --library-path /volume1/homes/amk/bin/git-annex.linux//etc/ld.so.conf.d:/volume1/homes/amk/bin/git-annex.linux//usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/audit:/volume1/homes/amk/bin/git-annex.linux//usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi/gconv:/volume1/homes/amk/bin/git-annex.linux//usr/lib:/volume1/homes/amk/bin/git-annex.linux//usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabi:/volume1/homes/amk/bin/git-annex.linux//lib:/volume1/homes/amk/bin/git-annex.linux//lib/arm-linux-gnueabi: /volume1/homes/amk/bin/git-annex.linux/shimmed/git-annex-shell/git-annex-shell -c git-annex-shell 'configlist' '/volume1/homes/amk/archive/annex'

The memory usage goes up graudally, reaching well over 200mb, hogging the cpu significantly. I have never used git-annex before, so I'm not sure what else I should be looking for. This is what the server runs on: armv7l GNU/Linux synology_armada370_214se

Is this an issue caused by the host architecture mismatch?

Comment by Antoni Thu Jan 22 20:18:12 2015

I tried unuccessfully on GCS DRA bucket gitannex-dra:

git annex initremote gcs type=S3 chunk=2MiB encryption=none host=storage.googleapis.com bucket=gitannex-dra storageclass=DURABLE_REDUCED_AVAILABILITY
initremote gcs (checking bucket...) git-annex: Invalid argument.
Comment by Rob Thu Jan 22 18:26:17 2015