In order to remove some hackishness in
git annex sync --content, I
finally fixed a bad design decision I made back at the very beginning
(before I really knew haskell) when I built the command seek code, which
had led to a kind of inversion of control. This took most of a night, but
it made a lot of code in git-annex clearer, and it makes the command
seeking code much more flexible in what it can do. Some of the oldest, and
worst code in git-annex was removed in the process.
Also, I've been reworking the numcopies configuration, to allow for a
git annex sync --content proactively make copies when
needed in order to satisfy numcopies.
As part of this,
git config annex.numcopies is deprecated, and there's a
git annex numcopies N command that sets the numcopies value that will
be used by any clone of a repository.
I got the preferred content checking of numcopies working too. However, I am unsure if checking for per-file .gitattributes annex.numcopies settings will make preferred content expressions be, so I have left that out for now.
Today's work was sponsored by Josh Taylor.