I need some help understanding what would cause
git-annex sync to still be running 4hrs+ on a new remote (FAT32 USB drive - BTEST) ? From all my searching, it appears to be part of git's optimization routines. But to be this long and slow seems odd. Also I am not sure what there would be optimize since it's a brand new remote ? The src (WTEST) doesn't seem to show any need to run
I followed the walkthrough's setup of a remote and followed that up with
git-annex sync. I did not specify the source for the sync as there is only one other (WTEST). The content is mostly ISO files and Win32 executables in 7 separate commits. In between
git-annex import and
git commit, the working directory was removed with
git rm '*' but no
git-annex drop. There were lots of duplicate files and it truly was satisfying to not see the disk usage increase. My backend is also MD5E for purposes of quicker imports and ease of hash lookup from other sources.
I would like to have 20-30 USB remotes. The length of time to get one remote up and running at this point is horrendous. Other people seem to have better experiences with it. Only odd thing that I see with my configuration is that the remote FAT32 drive is in
indirect mode. My understanding is that
git-annex would automatically switch to
direct if it detected a filesystem that did not support symbolic links.
What is wrong with my setup ? How can I fix it ?
Here's the basic config of WTEST.
WTEST$ git-annex info repository mode: indirect trusted repositories: 0 semitrusted repositories: 4 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001 -- web 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002 -- bittorrent 98dfasdf-ab83-4a0e-8b73-4dfasffdsaff1ae -- WTEST [here] 9dfdsfdf8-c5d5-4761-ab67-ffsadfsadfsa83 -- BTEST untrusted repositories: 0 transfers in progress: none available local disk space: 488.16 gigabytes (+1 megabyte reserved) local annex keys: 57327 local annex size: 58.57 gigabytes annexed files in working tree: 4322 size of annexed files in working tree: 6.82 gigabytes bloom filter size: 16 mebibytes (11.5% full) backend usage: MD5E: 61649
WTEST$git object-count -v count: 521829 size: 66794240 in-pack: 0 packs: 0 size-pack: 0 prune-packable: 0 garbage: 0 size-garbage: 0
WTEST$git config -l core.repositoryformatversion=0 core.filemode=false core.bare=false core.logallrefupdates=true core.ignorecase=true core.precomposeunicode=true annex.uuid=98dfasdf-ab83-4a0e-8b73-4dfasffdsaff1ae annex.sshcaching=false annex.version=5 annex.backends=MD5E annex.queuesize=102400 annex.genmetadata=true remote.BTEST.url=/Volumes/BTEST remote.BTEST.fetch=+refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/BTEST/* remote.BTEST.annex-uuid=9dfdsfdf8-c5d5-4761-ab67-ffsadfsadfsa83
The long running sync.
BTEST$ git-annex sync commit ok pull origin Auto packing the repository for optimum performance. You may also run "git gc" manually. See "git help gc" for more information. Counting objects: 521834, done. Delta compression using up to 4 threads. Compressing objects: 12% (59687/462488)
Update 7hrs later:
Writing objects: 70% (366184/521834)