Yesterday I learned of a nasty bug in handling of merges in direct mode. It turns out that if the remote repository has added a file, and there is a conflicting file in the local work tree, which has not been added to git, the local file was overwritten when git-annex did a merge. That's really bad, I'm very unhappy this bug lurked undetected for so long.
Understanding the bug was easy. Fixing it turned out to be hard, because the automatic merge conflict resolution code was quite a mess. In particular, it wrote files to the work tree, which made it difficult for a later stage to detect and handle the abovementioned case. Also, the automatic merge resolution code had weird asymmetric structure that I never fully understood, and generally needed to be stared at for an hour to begin to understand it.
In the process of cleaning that up, I wrote several more tests, to ensure that every case was handled correctly. Coverage was about 50% of the cases, and should now be 100%.
To add to the fun, a while ago I had dealt with a bug on FAT/Windows where it sometimes lost the symlink bit during automatic merge resolution. Except it turned out my test case for it had a heisenbug, and I had not actually fixed it (I think). In any case, my old fix for it was a large part of the ugliness I was cleaning up, and had to be rewritten. Fully tracking down and dealing with that took a large part of today.
Finally this evening, I added support for automatically handling merge conflicts where one side is an annexed file, and the other side has the same filename committed to git in the normal way. This is not an important case, but it's worth it for completeness. There was an unexpected benefit to doing it; it turned out that the weird asymmetric part of the code went away.
The final core of the automatic merge conflict resolver has morphed from a mess I'd not want to paste here to a quite consise and easy to follow bit of code.
case (kus, kthem) of -- Both sides of conflict are annexed files (Just keyUs, Just keyThem) -> resolveby $ if keyUs == keyThem then makelink keyUs else do makelink keyUs makelink keyThem -- Our side is annexed file, other side is not. (Just keyUs, Nothing) -> resolveby $ do graftin them file makelink keyUs -- Our side is not annexed file, other side is. (Nothing, Just keyThem) -> resolveby $ do graftin us file makelink keyThem -- Neither side is annexed file; cannot resolve. (Nothing, Nothing) -> return Nothing
Since the bug that started all this is so bad, I want to make a release pretty soon.. But I will probably let it soak and whale on the test suite a bit more first. (This bug is also probably worth backporting to old versions of git-annex in eg Debian stable.)