I've been experimenting with combining ikiwiki with git-annex and it seems to work. Thought I'd post my process. I've commented on the ikiwiki website as well but perhaps it'd be of interest to git-annex folks.
I have very little understanding of any of the tools involved and have just attempted to make it work using my limited knowledge. I don't use the web interface for ikiwiki which simplifies things.
The website in question just went online and is currently an archive of architectural photographs and the site relies heavily on the ikiwiki osm and album plugins.
Setting things up
To start with I set up the wiki on the server and git clone to into
$wrkdir on my laptop. I then initialize a git-annex repo in the
$srcdir on the server. Leaving the
$gitdir untouched. The
$scrdir git-annex repo has to be in
direct mode. Before doing any syncing I add
annex-ignore = true and
annex-sync = false to
.git/config in the origin repo (
$gitdir): this is to prevent polluting
$gitdir with git-annex data. The same process is repeated in the
$wrkdir on the laptop.
Pushing and syncing
With this setup I can then
git add remote $srcdir,
git add $file and
git-push mdwn files and other lightweight data from the laptop. While
git-annex sync and
git-annex copy --to $srcdir jpg's and other heavy files. All pure git commands work as expected with ikiwiki and the website recompiles etc.
I'm frequently left with (non-dangling) symlinks in the
$srcdir despite the annex repo being in direct mode. When this happens
git-annex fsck sorts things out.
Uploading image files does require a bit of manual work. But as this is done less frequently it's not much of an issue for me. I'm guessing that by doing things it the correct order (whatever that might be) I could avoid some of the manual work.
The thing to keep in mind is to never
git-add the typechanged annexed files in the $srcdir. In general I never use git commands in the $srcdir.
The main problem is the symlinks though as they demand a manual
git-annex fsck. I have no idea what causes the symlinks in a direct mode repo.