Short day today, but I spent it all on testing the new FSEvents code, getting it working with the assistant in direct mode. This included fixing its handling of renaming, and various other bugs.

The assistant in direct mode now seems to work well on OSX. So I made the assistant default to making direct mode repositories on OSX.

That'll presumably flush out any bugs. :) More importantly, it let me close several OSX-specific bugs to do with interactions between git-annex's symlinks and OSX programs that were apparently written under the misprehension that it's a user-mode program's job to manually follow symlinks.

Of course, defaulting to direct mode also means users can just modify files as they like and the assistant will commit and sync the changed files. I'm waiting to see if direct mode becomes popular enough to make it the default on all OS's.